Assess Needs; Identify Project; Prepare for Build
1. Introductory meeting with partner org
Before diving in, we have found it necessary to hold a preliminary meeting with our local partner to define expectations and create an initial agreement about what we hope to achieve through our collaboration.
Once a formal understanding has been established, we consult with our partner org regarding the needs, culture, history, and environment of the community.
2. consult with local builders and community
- Assess needs
- Identify traditional materials and building techniques
- Identify needed improvements to traditional techniques, if any.
3. Identify appropriate project
We identify appropriate projects based on need, available materials, and budget.
The goal is to create a space that will improve quality of life, increase resilience to climate change and other environmental factors, and/or build community. Examples in the past have included improved cookstoves, home improvements, composting latrines, communal buildings, and playgrounds.